Associate Dean, School of Technology and Trades
About Our Client:
Lambton College recently celebrated 50 years as a leader in post-secondary education.
For the past five decades, they have worked in partnership with the Sarnia-Lambton community to create a region of innovators, strengthening the local economy, and working to meet industry demand for skilled employees. Lambton College has grown to become the #1 Applied Research College in Canada and is proud to have a World Champion Enactus Team. The College recently undertook the most significant infrastructure build in its 50-year history, with the renovation of the Centre of Excellence in Energy & Bio-Industrial Technologies and brand-new NOVA Chemicals Health & Research Centre, and Athletics & Fitness Complex. The improved infrastructure will further position Lambton College as a provincial leader in educational programming while enriching the student experience on-campus.
The Associate Dean, School of Technology and Trades provides academic leadership to the diverse programs and course offerings within the School of Technology and Trades. He/she ensures the objectives of the programs are attained through effective supervision of teaching and learning processes and facilitates the on-going review of existing programs, academic quality and integrity, student success, faculty performance and the development of new programs to reflect market changes and the employment needs of industry. He/she conducts investigations of complaints from students and staff and initiates the problem-solving process. He/she establishes positive relationships with industry and skilled trades representatives and participates in College’s student recruitment and job placement initiatives. The incumbent is required to advise, maintain and plan the operations of complex lab facilities and their safe operations.
Leadership and Direction for Academic Program and Services
- Manages the SWF process for full time faculty.
- Provides academic and administrative leadership to faculty and support staff involved in the development and delivery of a related cluster of courses and programs offered by the School of Technology and Trades under the general direction of the Dean including the oversight of professional designations and related compliance.
- Contributes to the academic well-being of the college through competent planning and administration of the School’s programs and services including comprehensive program and rationalization and revitalization reviews.
- Ensures that the current and future educational needs of students are met by providing an ongoing review of courses; determines needs for modification of existing courses/programs and the introduction of new programs.
- Promotes community ventures and educational pathways by forming linkages/networks and develops/establishes partnership arrangements through advisory committees, agreements and projects.
- Develops operational procedures/policies for the school’s courses/programs to meet the needs of students, client groups, community partners, government ministries/agencies.
- Ensures program standards conform to Ministry Vocational Learning Outcomes and internal and external accreditation/program review requirements.
Human, Financial Planning and Management
- Maintains a high level of staff performance through effective recruiting, selecting, developing, motivating, evaluating and training of faculty and support staff within the department.
- Promotes and monitors the ongoing professional development for faculty and staff.
- Directs and administers the activities of the faculty in their teaching assignments and creates an effective working environment for the staff and the teaching/learning process; ensures that faculty and staff assignments are consistent with college policies and procedures.
- Promotes an effective, positive, safe teaching and learning environment.
- Facilitates the development of an effective communications plan between faculty and support staff to encourage participation and support of activities in the organizational unit/school.
- Prepares the initial budget for the school’s courses/programs for submissions to the Dean as part of the college’s overall budget; provides the Dean with input on the financial planning of courses and programs of the organizational unit/school.
- Recommends disciplinary and termination action as required
Laboratory Operations Management
- Monitors, regulates and maintains safe operation of laboratory facilities in the School of Technology and Trades in collaboration with Lambton College facilities and external regulating bodies.
- Monitors and maintain specialized laboratory equipment and software required for the programming within the school of Technology and Trades.
- Creates laboratory equipment capital and preventative maintenance plans.
- Technical advising on laboratory curriculum and safe operating procedures for the School of Technology and Trades.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Innovative problem solver who objectively assesses the issue and balances and understands the complexities between consistency and flexibility
- Responsive with a sense of urgency to complete tasks in a timely manner
- Superior communication, leadership, human relation skills.
- Understands the importance of managing costs and seeking efficiencies in academic delivery and services without compromising academic quality
- Effective conflict resolution skills
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and foster a collegial, collaborative environment with all relevant parties/sectors
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and facilitation skills
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills in English
- Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Computer literacy
Education and Experience:
- An Engineering Technologist Diploma or a relevant Bachelor’s Degree or a certificate of qualification and certificate of apprenticeship
- Minimum of 5 years proven experience managing human, fiscal and physical resources are required
- A combination of apprenticeship training and post-secondary education is considered an asset
- Leadership or management training is considered an asset.
To apply, please send a resume to Lisa Armstrong at Lisa.Armstrong@summitsearchgroup.com
All applications must be received by the deadline of August 30th, 2019
Summit Search Group is a fair and equitable search firm. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
If your qualifications are a match for this position please apply online for immediate consideration. Thank you for your application.
Position Applying For:
Associate Dean, School of Technology and Trades