Director of Innovation Institute
The Director of Innovation Institute is responsible for leading Lambton College’s innovation agenda, which is driven by Fourth Industrial Revolution, as is referenced as a clear goal of the new College’s Strategic Plan (2019-2024).
The incumbent will oversee three elements of the Institute:
· Academic Design and Development
· Research and Innovation and
· Innovative Business Services
The Director of the Innovation Institute is responsible for providing leadership in the development and design of innovative program and product offerings, tools, strategies and initiatives to the College and broader community. The incumbent will direct the team to identify opportunities internally and externally for business development and innovative solution integration. Key to this position is the cross-collaboration of all three elements of the institute to insure they are driving to a common goal.
The Director of Innovation Institute will develop, enhance, and implement innovation -related policies and procedures; foster public and private sector collaborative relationships; manage staff, develop, promote and foster a culture of innovation and entrepreneurial activities across the College and Community.
Leadership and Department Management
- Position Lambton College as a leader in Canada in the development and design of innovation products, programs, services, and research in response to the impact of industry 4.0.
- Support the Senior Executive to implement and continually improve the strategic priorities
- Support and nurture a culture of innovation and entrepreneurial activities across the College.
- Promote activities consistent with the College’s strengths, infrastructure, and strategic priorities.
- Liaise and work with Community, regional, provincial and national key organizations, colleges, universities and institutions to build partnerships, joint initiatives and projects.
- Establish and maintain strategic internal and external stakeholders in pursuit of departments goals.
- In concert with the Innovation Team create annual and execute Operational Plan
- Mentor and advise College staff and faculty in rapid innovative response methodologies.
- Establish multi-year financial contribution targets and corresponding annual budget to reach said targets.
- Oversee the recruiting, hiring, coaching and overall management of staff within the Institute.
- Provide necessary training and professional development for staff.
- Compile, analyze, maintain statistical data/reports of operations related to the Institute.
Research and Innovation
- Provide supervision and guidance to research centres, in particular the Information Technology and Communications Research Centre (ITCRC) both in Sarnia and Toronto.
- Provide support to the Executive Dean of Applied Research to identify new areas of research which are aligned with the College Industry 4.0 vision as well as its capacity.
- Liaise with all other research centres to support the Innovation Institute.
- Pro-actively identify and encourage applied research activities through leadership on relevant committees and liaise with faculty and other research staff where appropriate.
- Support the College’s applied research infrastructure (facility, human resource, administrative) to help applied research activities.
- Facilitate the work of applied research teams, including project teams whose membership may include administrators, faculty, support staff, and students as well as external partners.
- Support the delivery of outreach strategies for the promotion of College applied research to industry, community organizations, and other educational institutions.
- Identify and obtain funding sources from granting councils and external partners.
- Help to liaise with external funders, acting as college advocate and secure grants appropriate to the Applied Research Plan.
- Liaise with private sector partners to identify industry applied research needs, and secure support for applied research projects, working collaboratively with associate deans, managers, and directors.
- Support the development of applied research office policies, protocols and practices.
- Ensure the College is compliant with all required practices related to intellectual property, legal, and ethical research activities.
- Ensure the College is compliant with all required practices related to external bodies (i.e. NSERC).
Academic Design and Development
- Supervise the Academic Design and Development group with the following subgroups: Design House, Program and Product Design and Development, Online Education, Design Sandbox.
- Lead the development and branding of new courses, micro-credentials or badges for internal and external clients.
- Identify, develop, market, staff and evaluate credentials, courses, workshops, seminars for internal and external clients.
- Assist in the development of strategies to enhance learning experiences across online, blended and technology-enhanced initiatives.
- Support design consultation for individual faculty and academic units to advance innovative digital learning initiatives.
- Mobilize the design community across campus to accelerate knowledge sharing, experimentation and prototyping.
- Demonstrate and share a passion for digital learning in a collaborative environment.
- Conduct and disseminate research and analysis on new and emerging technologies, instructional design theories, and approaches.
- Work with faculty to design and develop new courses and programs, enhance current programs and strengthen digital engagement tools.
- Help design new tools, templates, and resources that support faculty innovation in digital education.
Innovative Business Services
- Provide leadership and management for business services in the college community and the community at large.
- Develop and supervise the execution of services in the following areas: Business Enhancement, Commercialization and Technology Transfer and Entrepreneurship.
- Develop vision to establish the incubator and an accelerator to be responsive to the continued evolution of entrepreneurship, through a high degree of creativity, strategic thinking, entrepreneurial ability and adaptability.
- Develop partnership with venture capitals, angel investors and incubators and accelerators to help industries with their commercialization activities
- Supervise building business relationships with industry, industry associations, not- for -profit organizations and other institutions focused on attracting projects to the Innovation Institute as well as support entrepreneurs, business owners and inventors with their projects.
- Cultivate relationships with regional, municipal, provincial and federal governments/community service providers in partnership to enhance the incubator/accelerator centre and support businesses.
- Supervise business, commercialization and entrepreneurial services and make improvements based on analysis of departmental performance and student, graduate, client and employer needs.
- Oversee development of outreach and promotion plans to provide training and professional development opportunities for Lambton College and Sarnia-Lambton businesses and entrepreneurs.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Solid knowledge of college and provincial innovation ecosystem and requirements
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in a related field
- At least 7 years of work-related experience
- Experience in design and development training and learning products, proposal writing
- Strong project development and project management abilities
- Experience working with individuals and groups from the College system, government, and the private sector
To apply, please send a resume to Lisa Armstrong at Lisa.Armstrong@summitsearchgroup.com
All applications must be received by the deadline of August 4th, 2019.
Summit Search Group is a fair and equitable search firm. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
If your qualifications are a match for this position please apply online for immediate consideration. Thank you for your application.
Position Applying For:
Director of Innovation Institute
*If you experience trouble submitting your resume' here, please email the recruiter directly, you can find the recruiter's email address next to photo of the recruiter above, or contact your our local office.