Our client is a reputable tree nursery located in Ottawa and they are looking for a General Manager to join their team. The General Manager (GM) is an employee of and reports to the Chief Executive Officer. The GM is hired by the board of directors of the corporation and maintains their position at the discretion of the board.
The GM provides day- to-day direction including but not limited to production and sales planning and support, personnel and human resource management, facilities management, strategic planning, budget preparation, cost management, and reporting.
- Ensuring nursery operations are efficiently, profitably and safely operated.
- Maximizing/optimizing revenue and growing the Centre’s assets.
- Developing budgets, capital needs and work plans for CEO and FFCC Board approvals.
- Operating within the overall Board of Director’s approved budget while retaining the ability to redirect funds as required for the successful operation of the Nursery.
- Developing, investigating and recommending new product and production options to the Board of Directors.
- Day-to-day supervision of the Nursery General Manager, Sales Representative, Office and Sales Administrator and the Maintenance Coordinator, as well as, the general management and overall administration and operations of the Corporation’s assets.
- Providing direction and managing the performance, including annual performance reviews, of the Nursery General Manager, Sales Representative, Office and Sales Administrator and the Maintenance Coordinator.
- Establishing and administering the contracts for the Nursery General Manager, Sales Representative, Office and Sales Administrator and the Maintenance Coordinator.
- Human Resources, Health and Safety, Benefits and Payroll support for staff and the Corporation as required.
- Ensuring the Corporation’s administration and operations are effectively and efficiently undertaken in a sustainable manner compliant with all applicable laws.
- Developing and maintaining a procedures manual, with the assistance of the Nursery General Manager, for the operation of the nursery.
- Setting targets for Corporate objectives that are commensurate with marketing requirements and operational capabilities provided by the nursery operations.
- Sets production targets in consultation with the CEO, Nursery General Manager, Sales Representative and Office and Sales Administrator for the nursery.
- Overseeing and approving the operation of the nursery with the assistance of the Nursery General Manager.
- With the assistance of the senior staff, ensures compliance to all applicable laws and regulations, and adherence to high ethical standards.
- Overseeing and approving the sales and marketing plan.
- Managing the leased lands and OMNRF properties in accordance with provincial agreements.
- Signing authority for operational requirements, which is audited periodically by the Board.
- With the support of the Maintenance Manager, manages recreational, educational and conservation activities on the total FFCC facilities.
- Other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary education required in forestry, horticulture or agriculture.
- 5 years of business management experience in a growing facility.
- 5 years of practical horticultural or forestry experience is preferred.
- 10 years of work experience in nursery/forestry operations.
- Experience reporting to a Board of Directors.
- Experience in financial management.
- Experience with various software packages such as QuickBooks and MS Office.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Proven problem-solving ability.
- Demonstrated ability to manage people.
- Capacity to build and maintain effective working relationships.
- Proven ability to manage significant financial resources.
- High standard of ethical behavior.
While we appreciate all inquiries, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please forward resumes to Megan Newell at Summit Search Group email@example.com.
Summit Search Group is a fair and equitable search firm. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
If your qualifications are a match for this position please apply online for immediate consideration. Thank you for your application.
Position Applying For:
*If you experience trouble submitting your resume' here, please email the recruiter directly, you can find the recruiter's email address next to photo of the recruiter above, or contact your our local office.