In-house Legal Counsel
About Our Client:
Our client is a leader in manufacturing and distributing quality bulk foods.
Location: North York, ON
Reporting to the Vice-President, the successful candidate is a key member of the management team and will provide guidance, advice and representation on all legal matters across the organization. Working collaboratively with department heads, the In-house Counsel drafts, interprets and negotiates multiple types of agreements and contracts and provides legal advice on business operations to manage risk and ensure compliance with various legal and regulatory requirements. He/she conducts research into potential acquisitions/sales, philanthropic endeavours, providing a legal opinion regarding risk/benefit.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a strong work ethic and the ability to multi-task and work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced, complex work environment. He/she will possess a keen analytical ability and a talent for identifying the appropriate action to often atypical situations.
- Provide legal guidance and support for all units of the organization.
- Liaising with the management team, negotiate, draft, review and manage the company’s agreements and contracts such as, but not limited to sales and supply agreements, purchase/lease agreements, consulting agreements, employment agreements, loan agreements, trademark registrations, etc.
- Research and provide legal opinion on potential acquisitions or sales.
- Identify potential legal risks and develop proactive strategies.
- Respond to legal enquiries from customers, suppliers, legal representatives, regulatory agencies, etc.
- Represent the organization in arbitration, mediation or other legal proceedings. Conduct appropriate research to strengthen the organization’s legal position.
- Develop and maintain corporate policies, procedures and programs to mitigate legal compliance risks.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge regarding changing legal trends, laws, regulations, etc. that may affect the business.
- Coordinate external legal resources when required.
- Ad-hoc responsibilities that are required from time to time.
- Work safely, following legislated and established work procedures and practices.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Sound judgement, critical thinking ability and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with shifting priorities
- Ability to grasp legal and business issues and provide advice and counsel in plain language
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and confidentiality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Education and Experience:
- Law degree (LL.B. or JD)
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- A minimum of 3 years post call experience, preferably in a food manufacturing environment
- Understanding and legal training in business law with experience in the areas of contract law, negotiation, corporate policies, risk management and dispute resolution.
To apply, please send a resume to Lisa Armstrong at Lisa.Armstrong@summitsearchgroup.com
Summit Search Group is a fair and equitable search firm. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
If your qualifications are a match for this position please apply online for immediate consideration. Thank you for your application.
Position Applying For:
In-house Legal Counsel
*If you experience trouble submitting your resume' here, please email the recruiter directly, you can find the recruiter's email address next to photo of the recruiter above, or contact your our local office.