Manager, Environment Program
About Our Client:
Reporting to the Director, Regulatory Affairs & Environmental Assessment, the Manager, Environment Program will be responsible for the development and implementation of the Environment Program. The incumbent will be managing complex projects based at the Toronto headquarters and will bring extensive experience in environmental assessment.
- Develop an Environment Program that will effectively implement the organization’s Environment Policy including the processes by which the environmental aspects and opportunities will be identified and managed. Identify emerging challenges and develops, communications and implements plans to avoid or mitigate potential negative outcomes.
- Obtain all necessary environmental permits and approvals for the organization work activities and operations with the exception of CNSC licensing.
- Provide leadership and specialized technical expertise in an area including, but not limited to: water management, biology, biodiversity, soil science, climate, permitting and/or compliance.
- Lead technical environment projects including identification of needs, scope definition, resourcing, contractor management, quality control and reporting.
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with the Municipal and Indigenous community representatives who are participating in the Environment Program including the Impact Assessment.
- Develop the environmental baseline studies and effects assessments with participation of the potential host Indigenous and local communities.
- Present and defend the findings and conclusions of the Impact Assessment to the Federal Review Panel at public hearings.
- Identify contract requirements and lead the evaluation and selection of contractors, manage external contracts, monitor performance against work plans and schedules, and ensure deliverables are high quality.
- Establish with the support of the organization’s Indigenous Relations department an assessment framework that includes Traditional Knowledge and Indigenous values.
- Anticipate risks to the Impact Assessment and develop suitable mitigations.
- Prepare and present at public participation sessions to speak about the Impact Assessment, the methodologies and findings, in a manner that provides understanding and confidence.
- Identify research and development opportunities that contribute to the understanding of environmental issues and can lead to an improvement in environmental performance.
- Liaise with regulators to maintain a good relationship.
- Establish short and long term business plans and strategies to meet organizational and departmental objectives. Develop and manage departmental budget.
- Provide direction to staff, establish clear roles and responsibilities and annual performance objectives as well as provide regular performance feedback, coaching and training.
- Ensure employee health and safety, supporting a strong safety culture and ensuring employee activities meet or exceed the health, safety and environment requirements as outlined in organizational policies, procedures and standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience in environmental assessment, with experience in at least one review panel in a key (presenting) role.
- Experience in managing complex multi-stakeholder projects.
- Experience in public engagement and consultation.
- Experience liaising with government agencies.
- Outstanding contract management skills with a focus on managing scope, cost and schedule.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team.
- Strong reporting skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience managing staff.
Education and Experience:
- University degree in planning, environmental sciences, environmental management or engineering.
- Post-graduate degree is preferred.
- Over 10 years’ experience directly involved in the environmental field, preferably in a mining or other natural resource industry.
- Must be eligible to work in Canada and must be able to meet security clearance requirements.
- This position will require frequent travel within Ontario.
To apply, please send a resume to Jessica Alcock at [email protected]
Summit Search Group is a fair and equitable search firm. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
If your qualifications are a match for this position please apply online for immediate consideration. Thank you for your application.
Position Applying For:
Manager, Environment Program