Manager, Ottawa Office
Our client is a leading business law firm located in Ottawa and they are looking for an Office Manager to join their team. The Ottawa Office Manager role oversees all operational functions within the office, with a focus on delivering high-quality, professional client service at median cost. Included in managing the office’s operations, the incumbent provides hands-on talent support for the unique business operations in Ottawa.
Working within Firm standards, responsible for planning, overseeing, and delegating administrative services including library, facilities, information services, hospitality, purchasing, records management, trust accounts and mail services within the office. Is the trusted advisor to the Office Managing Partner and is the senior administrative representative for the office both internally and in the business community. Works closely with unit heads to support their unique recruitment and talent management requirements.
- Supervises legal secretarial assistants and ensures sharing ratios are within Firm norms. Supervision includes overseeing workload assignments, co-ordinating overtime support and arranging additional coverage as needed.
- Responsible for ensuring staffing levels and administrative work allocation in the office are appropriate. Maintains staff leave of absence records, including vacations, illnesses, etc.
- Supports Legal Professional recruitment and other related matters as directed by the Office Managing Partner.
- Provides an exceptional onboarding experience for new hires, acts as a point of contact for all new hires and ensures all new hire documentation is completed.
- Co-ordinates and manages all specific recruitment initiatives, such as posting job advertisements, screening candidates, coordinating in-person interviews, conducting reference and background checks, drafting offer letters, and ensuring offers are properly documented.
- Prepares and conducts annual performance reviews for staff as well as makes salary increase recommendations.
- Supports resolution of staff relations matters such as those related to performance management, attendance management, work attitudes, etc. Drafts performance management plans and/or warning letters and in conjunction with Firm protocols, any necessary termination documentation. Participates in meetings as required.
- In conjunction with the Student Program, supports the recruitment and on-boarding of new legal students (Summer and Articling).
- Ensures that office facilities are maintained in a manner that provides a healthy and efficient working environment. Oversees local lease administration and property management relationships. This may involve coordinating (or project managing) office renovations, moves and/or expansions.
- Creates and optimally manage the administration budget including operational and capital expenditures.
- Provides support and advice to business leaders on staff issues including salary administration, engagement and career development.
- Fosters an atmosphere of positive organizational culture and ensures an equitable work environment by encouraging close working relationships between partners, associates and staff, co-ordinating office-wide social activities, encouraging co-operation between different groups and departments and promoting collaboration and teamwork with other Firm offices.
- On occasion, liaises with various external organizations on behalf of the Firm for information exchange, sponsorship, charitable donations and public relations purposes.
- Participates in the development of Firm-wide administrative policies, programs and procedures and oversees their effective implementation within the office. Monitors to ensure Firm standards and best practices are understood and executed. Supports change management programs. Develops and implements contingency plans, when required.
- Participates as a management member for various internal committees in order to represent the office on a Firm-wide basis. Works in collaboration with peers in other offices as well as other senior administrative personnel.
- Undertakes special projects as required.
Education and Requirements:
- Post-secondary education required, business or related discipline.
- 8+ years of related experience in a professional services or similar environment.
- Several years of management experience is also required.
- Human Resources designation is an asset.
- Thorough understanding of the Firm’s policies, practices and standards.
- Demonstrated knowledge of employment life cycle best practices and documentation (recruitment, on-boarding, performance management, employee relations, terminations).
- Knowledge of accounting principles and practices and basic financial analysis.
- Knowledge of general economic conditions in the regional market as they may relate to office operations.
- Ability to pay attention to detail while covering multiple areas of responsibility.
- Knowledge of relevant employment related legislation, practices and procedures.
- Leadership skills and human relations skills.
- Facilities and project management skills.
- Time management and organizational skills.
- Computer proficiency.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
While we appreciate all inquiries, only qualified candidates will be contacted. Please forward resumes to Megan Newell at Summit Search Group email@example.com.
Summit Search Group is a fair and equitable search firm. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
If your qualifications are a match for this position please apply online for immediate consideration. Thank you for your application.
Position Applying For:
Manager, Ottawa Office
*If you experience trouble submitting your resume' here, please email the recruiter directly, you can find the recruiter's email address next to photo of the recruiter above, or contact your our local office.